ACE Masterclass: Working with Designers & Makers
During this Masterclass you will learn how organisations, large and small, can benefit from tapping into local creative resources to raise profile, create product ranges and elevate perception of the retail function internally and in the wider world.
With a focus on nurturing relationships with designers, makers, artists and agencies we will explore how to make a start finding the right partners, negotiating terms and intellectual property rights, making the sums stack up to create whole ranges that work and deliver margin and revenue, look at different working models relating to economies of scale and explore how to maximise exposure and reap the reputational and marketing benefits of the collaboration and lots more.
Delegates will come prepared with details of their organisation and examples of any product development to date, brand guidelines (if applicable) and aspirations for new bespoke product categories
What will I learn?
- Why working directly with designer makers is right for your business
- How to make an approach and to prepare for the initial meeting
- Negotiations and contractual guidelines
- Different working models and approaches
- Developing brand guidelines and mood boards suitable for designer makers, and you
- Framing the partnership and brand hierarchies
- Working with key partners and umbrella organisations for long term partnerships
- Maximising publicity and framing the partnerships in store and online
- Potential next steps to Licensing
- Possible pitfalls to look out for and avoid
Adam Thow has worked in the cultural sector for more than 15 years including buying roles at the Natural History Museum, senior commercial roles at Southbank Centre and the Barbican and is now the Commercial & Operations Director at the Sir John Soane's Museum.
Specialising in creating design-led, exclusive ranges, Adam has always championed up-and-coming designers and over the years has worked with the British Council, Ideas Tap, Cockpit Arts, the Design Trust and many more advising and coaching makers in addition to his work in the sector.
Adam will use case studies to illustrate outlined learning points and provide opportunities for the delegates to apply the newly learned knowledge to their own organisations.
Please note this Masterclass is not open to Associate Members of ACE.
London, London EC4M 8AD